Wednesday, March 10, 2010

So it ain’t Sisyphus, it still sucks…

When I decided to abandon my other characters to play solely on Glamdring I knew there was a task coming that I’ve been dreading for a long time—the Great Inventory Shuffle of 2010. You see, in addition to Glam, I had 6 other characters that I play and 9 mules-characters who’s purpose is to hold inventory for those who don’t play (they also allow me to shop in a town without having to go there with Glam).

FFXI has a service in the cities called a delivery box. This allows you to send up to 8 items (or stackable groups) to whoever, excluding rare/exclusive items and a couple of just odd-ball things. The problem is with all the chars I’m dealing with literally thousands of slots and so shifting this crap 8 items at a time takes awhile as you can imagine. Since each character only has a finite amount of space to hold things you need, inventory needs to be shifted to accommodate whatever you are doing.

Now I’m leveling thief on Glamdring so I can pull (if needed) in Dynamis better than I can as bard/whitemage (normally bard is a good pulling job, but flee is often required in Dynamis). However, thief is only level 37, so I need some gear that is level/job appropriate and space to put it when I have to change to bard or beast. That means I need a fair amount of space accessable from any moogle. So I’m moving a lot of stuff. In addition, I need room for crafting (currently working on capping bone at 60) and that also needs space. Last, but not least, with treasure hunter my inventory is going to get cluttered until I can get to a store to sell the drops off. More space please…

So I need to organize storage on my mules and consolidate all of item x on mule y. Of course, there are bits and pieces spread over all of the characters/mules and I’m too lazy to make a spreadsheet or database of every item I’m holding. Not to mention the stuff that is on NPC storage people made by the game operators. Any rare/exclusive stuff can’t be moved so space has to be found on Glam. This is just fun…

So I spent about 90 minutes moving stuff around and getting thief gear to Glam. The job is far from done but I’m tired and I need to actually do something, so it’s time to schlep out to Davoi and work my thief. Guess who forgot to charge his Emporer’s band? And only has 1 charge left on his Tactics pearl for that matter? I think annoying tasks just somehow turn off my brain. An hour netted me 1800 XP and about 2500 gil, and virtually no drops or steals, maybe my treasure hunter is off? Oh well, we’ll see what happens tonite.

No comments:

Post a Comment